When people visit a site you’re operating, you need to ensure their safety.
So here are 5 things to consider to help ensure visitors are protected when you are operating a small construction site.
1. Is the worksite fenced off from the public?
2. Do roadworks have barriers around them and are the barriers lit?
3. Are the public protected from falling material?
4. Is clear signage present to warn people of danger
(eg ‘Keep out’, ‘Asbestos removal in progress’)?
5. When work has stopped for the day:
• Is the boundary secure?
• Have steps been taken to prevent any unauthorised access (eg are all ladders removed or their rungs boarded so they can’t be used)?
• Are excavations and openings securely covered or fenced off?
• Is all plant immobilised to prevent unauthorised use?
• Are bricks and materials safely stacked?
• Are flammable or dangerous substances locked away in secure storage places?